Mould is almost always caused by dampness and poor ventilation in your home.
The signs of dampness and poor ventilation can often be quite obvious.
However, in newer homes, which are built to be almost airtight under building regulations, signs of poor ventilation aren’t always initially visible and may exist in the form of excessive moisture that can’t escape and hidden damp, which accumulates over time.
When damp and mould are allowed to grow, they can be a trigger for asthma attacks, cause flu, fatigue and even more severe respiratory illnesses.
Toxic mould syndrome occurs worldwide and is linked to headaches, nausea, nose bleeds, depression, eczema, lack of energy, respiratory problems and hay fever (allergic rhinitis). Asthma sufferers are particularly at risk in damp and mouldy homes, as are babies, children, the elderly and people with weakened immune systems.